Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Monday, July 19, 2004

Arrival

18 July 2004
I arrived at Fort Jackson today. I left Nashville at 6am, and it should have only been about a 6 hour drive to Fort Jackson, in Columbia. However, I decided to take the "scenic" while traveling through the Smoky Mountains. Instead of following I-40, I took a detour down Highway 441. Big mistake. Well, not completely. The scenery was stunning. But I ended up losing about 2 hours, and I arrived at 1500 (3pm), including the time change into eastern time.

I'm starting to struggle with missing my family. I'm excited to be here for the training and the experience, but there is a part of my chest that hurts when I am reminded of Mary or Wesley or Calvin. I'm only gone for 3 1/2 weeks, but it still seems longer. Talking to them on the phone helps, and I think I'll be better in a few days, but I still miss them greatly.

My accomodations are different than last time. We're supposed to be housed at Dozier Hall, where each chaplain gets what is basically a 1 bedroom apartment, with a full kitchen. Dozier is full, though, so some of us are over at Kennedy Hall. It's not terrible, but it's more like a motel. We don't have kitchens, jusst a microwave and a small refrigerator, so I have to be creative with my cooking for the next few weeks.

Tomorrow starts early. I have to be at the Chaplain School at 0420 (4:20am) for a weigh-in. Tuesday morning we have the Army Physical Fitness Test. I feel good about my preparation for it over the last few months. We'll see how it goes on Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home