Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The Humidty

Well, it's evening now, and I think I'm recovered from the APFT. The biggest challenge was running in the intense humidity down here.  I can't believe how thick it is!  It makes Iowa seem not too bad.  When I first began my run, I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it.  It was as if I was sucking in water every time I breathed.  I had my stopwatch going, and for the first two of three laps I was sure I was running well behind my pace.  But once I passed the second checkpoint, I looked at my watch, did some math, and realized I was in a good position.  As I mentioned below, I ended up finishing the two miles in 14 minutes and 50 seconds.  I feel good about that, and know that I can continue to improve on that time.  The longer the time is since my back surgery, the closer I am to running like I did before I hurt it.  I am in better shape than I was last year, and my goal is to be more fit at 40 than I am at 30.  Hmm....we'll see if I can follow through.

The classroom work today was fairly dry.  We spent time learning about managing the finances, and running reports on offerings.  It's dry, by the instructor's own admission.  In addition, it doesn't apply to chaplains in the Reserve.  We don't collect offerings, and if I were mobilized, it would, as I understand it, still work differently than what they described, which is applicable to ministry on a state-side Army post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home