Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Proud of this Nation

Right now we live in a time when a lot of people are fearful, skeptical or simply disappointed with the USA. Honestly, I don't quite get it, but the media seem to assume that Americans are the bad guys whatever the issue may be at the time. I'm getting tired of it. I'm under no illusion that this nation is perfect; that would be idolatry. But I also think there is a time and a place to admit that we live in a pretty good nation. We have great freedoms. We have an incredibly strong economy, and people are constantly try to move to this nation. We are a diverse people that truly welcome all newcomers; my dad is an immigrant from Sweden, we continue to be blessed by immigrants from around the world. No other nation can bring people in and accept them like we can; Europe is learning that it has not assimilated immigrants, they are struggling as a result.

I guess I choose to focus on the positive. Self-critique is important. Needless negativism is not.

Here is a link to an article that touches on this subject. It is quite political, so please try and ignore the Republican vs. Democrat part, but think about the general thrust of the article, which is good. The article is: "Do You Want Your Kids To Be Happy?" Comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home