Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Saturday, April 29, 2006

More on WMD

Ok, here is my second post for the day, but I'd like to include some quotes I just read while watching the NFL Draft. They are from retired Major General Anthony Zinni, one of the critics of Donald Rumsfeld and the administration. He said recently:

"There was no solid proof, that I ever saw, that Saddam had WMD."

It sounds bad, until you read what he said in 2000, serving under President Clinton:

"Iraq remains the most significant near-term threat to U.S. interests in the Arabian Gulf region." He also said that "Iraq probably is continuing clandestine nuclear research, [and] retains stocks of chemical and biological munitions... Even if Baghdad reversed its course and surrendered all WMD capabilities, it retains scientific, technical, and industrial infrastructure to replace agents and munitions within weeks." (quotes taken from Human Events weekly)

Wow. Are you confused? Why the difference in these statements? Politics, maybe?!

It's amazing that we as a nation have developed mass memory loss...just a few years after leaders, both political and military, were united in understanding the threat of Iraq, we now have this chorus of criticism from so many people with political axes to grind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home