Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Kuwait

Well, here I am in Kuwait. It's Wednesday morning here (late on Tuesday night back home). It's surreal being here. To prepare for something so long and now finally to be in the Middle East is really a good feeling.

My flight here was interesting. We made stops in Iceland and Germany. I've always wanted to go to Iceland, but hopefully next time I'll get to see a little more of the country.

On the way in here, we flew over Iraq. That was eerie. I had a bit of a knot in my stomach, to be perfectly honest, as I flew in for tha last leg. It was partially excitement, partially anxiety, and partially a whole bunch of other emotions. I can't imagine a person not feeling that, at least on their first trip over here. But I also can't express the gladness at finally being here, and being able to get started with my ministry.

Kuwait is not my final stop. I am at Camp Ali Al Salem currently. A pretty decent place. My first meal in country was: McDonald's. Yep, there are golden arches here. Also a Pizza Hut. I will maybe post a picture of the arches if I get a chance. But it is HOT (yeah, first time anyone has said that), but it's not humid. I prefer this to the humidity of Missisippi.

As for after this, I now know where I am going, but I'll wait to talk about that until I get there. Security concerns are a big deal, considering how many people read blogs, but also with the number of hackers who read emails any time you or I or anyone send them. I heard this statistic: if you send an email, assume that 200 people will read it, along with your recipient. So, as a result, my blog is going to focus more on how I perceive things, about my spiritual life, and that sort of thing, and I will not, obviously, write about details about things before they happen.

One last thing: I met with a couple of chaplains when I got here, and they prayed Psalm 91 over me. It was such a blessing. I commend the psalm to you all; many of you know it, but I encourage you to read it, and say it as a prayer for all of our troops. I believe they make bandanas with that psalm on it as well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I praise God for your safety!! I am so thankful to hear of your peace. God is good. I look forward to hearing more -- our prayers are with you daily.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in our heart and in our prayers. And you are right, you can get that on a bandana. Here's a place that sells them: http://www.psalm91bandana.com/

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home