Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Packing Up and Ready to Go

Well, it's not too long until I leave. I am spending the time until I leave taking care of final details and making sure everything is packed and ready. One of the important things is to download some TV shows and podcasts for my iPod, since I'll be spending quite a bit of time in an airplane!

It's strange packing up everything I will have for a year into two duffel bags and a small footlocker. But it also reminds me that a lot of things I have are things I don't really need. When we bought our house two years ago, I was so happy to have a walk-in closet. Now my wardobe is a lot simpler- camoflauge and a few civilian clothes!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris-the best bro in the world- It is going to be tough not to pick up the phone and talk to you. The realization you are overseas will hit when I pick up the phone and dial your number and realize I can't call you and talk to you on the phone for a while.
I love you and will miss you so much. You are in all of my prayers and thoughts every single day.
Mary Ann, Calvin and Wesley have lots of love around them and will be taken care of while you are gone.
Love You!
Your best and only sis :)
Margit

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris -- isn't it amazing how you start to evaluate what is truly important in life during different times in life. It sounds like things are really starting to happen for you and I am so thankful every day for ALL of your communications and updates. I look forward to my nightly updates from you. Your enthusiasm continues to amaze me. Our prayers continue to flow and we are definitely thinking of you daily. God Bless and we will definitely keep in touch!!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris-
There is a light colonel that Kathy and I know in the Guard. When he returned home after his command in Iraq he gave an inspiring and impassioned speech after receiving an award to a small group of us. I wish I had a recording of it; it was awesome! I feel the same way about your last couple of posts. I intend to print it off and share them with the boss when I see him next week. You would have had an illustrious career in politics, by the way. I pray daily you wind up near Kathy. She will also be well supplied with TV shows. May God continue to bless you and all the soldiers putting everything on the line for us here at home.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, good luck to you and have a great ride over. All I remember is that it was really, really cold on the plane. I can assure you it is hot, but yes, without the humidity, it is much easier to take. Shade will actually feel good unlike humid conditions. You will survive, apparently, Paul has never actually been in 115 degree, no humidity weather, usually people that make that comment have not.

The soldiers will truly be blessed by your presence over there, keep up the faith and keep in touch.


Scott

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home