Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Friday, September 29, 2006

Rest

One lesson I have been learning while here is the necessity of rest. Most of our Soldiers keep a very busy OPTEMPO (i.e., the pace of their operations, rest time in between missions, etc.). I have found that in my ministry here I cannot anticipate a busy day or not. For example, I cannot anticipate incoming rocket fire, casualties, people needing counseling, and so on.

Hence, it makes it absolutely critical to take the down time when it’s there, and use it. That may seem obvious, but it’s easy to get caught up into always being busy, simply for the same of being busy, and then you end up burning out within a couple of months.

I can’t say how proud I am of the Soldiers around here. They work hard, they put themselves into danger, and they are getting the job done. I feel blessed to be their chaplain over here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if I do say so, they are VERY lucky to have you!! (not that I'm prejudiced!) :o)

Love you and miss you!!!

Mom

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second your Mom's sentiment - They ARE very lucky to have someone who is SO Faith based that his main concern is ministering to those 'in harms way'. God Bless you Chris in all that you do - may you and those there with you know that you are prayed for daily from across the 'pond'. We tend to loose track of what we 'get' to do, because of what you all 'have to do'! Again, love and prayers from this fellow American and sister in Christ.
Sue

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope everything is going great. We are really missing you here. We are proud of the work you and all the soldiers are doing there.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Mark True said...

Chris:

I think you've stuck on something we all should take into account...the need for downtime when we get it. We always manage to get busy and let busy-ness run our lives.

I'm convicted of it often when I don't make time to get into the Word, look at God in the faces of my boys or my wife, or just listen to the stillness.

Thanks the reminder.

Stay well.

-Mark

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home