Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Rafael Palmeiro and Truth

If you're interested in baseball, you've probably already read as much information as you care to read when it comes to Baltimore Oriole Rafael Palmeiro and his positive test for steroids. For those of you that don't follow baseball: Palmeiro is one of four people in baseball history to attain the feat collecting more than 3000 hits AND 500 home runs. He also testified emphatically before Congress that he never used steroids, and has been involved in anti-steroid efforts. Then, two days ago, he was suspended for 10 games for testing postive.

To be honest, I'm disappointed by the whole thing. I know that isn't a unique perspective. Either this man is a huge liar, or he has been grossly mistreated and unfairly accused.

But what is more disappointing is the usual indulgence in euphemisms and double-speak that is so common in our society. Palmeiro, in the statement he released, emphasized that he never "intentionally" took steroids. Huh? This sounds like the all-too-common apology we hear from every corner of our society that begins "IF I have offended anyone, I am sorry..."

We live in a time where we can't just take responsibility. If Palmeiro hasn't done steroids, then let him get angry, yell, talk about the false accusation, the fallibility of the steroid tests, and so on. If he is guilty, then....apologize! Without hesitation or reservation, apologize.

But please don't give me this garbage about never intentionally taking steroids. This man has been an anti-steroid advocate. He makes millions of dollars a year, and can afford the best supplements and trainers. He gets paid to take care of his body. How can he not know what he puts in his body.

It's no different than Barry Bonds, one of the strongest and most physically fit players in baseball, claiming he mistook a steroid cream for flax seed oil...a product you can buy at Walmart for a few dollars.

Why can't people just take responsibility when they screw up? I'd respect him much more if he said "Hey, I tried to take the short cut, and I was wrong."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home