Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Friday, September 15, 2006

Deepening faith

One thing that has happened to me in the almost month I've been in Iraq is that my faith has grown in ways I didn't imagine. There is a lessening of fear and anxiety. It is different than I had imagined. I thought that I would come here and just have constant epiphanies, see visions, dream dreams, etc. But instead it has been more profound, and, I believe, longer lasting. I have simply had to trust God in a deeper way.

When you wake up to the sound of explosions very near by, you cannot help but be aware of your own mortality. And yet, in the midst of that, my conviction and certainty of God's hand and protection is deeper than ever. There is no anxiety. It's not because I'm brave- that is definitely not the case- but it's because God brings a transcendant peace that surpasses our understanding. God is here in incredible ways, and there is a sureness of faith that develops in this environment.

Psalm 91 is a popular one for soldiers. We have bandanas with Psalm 91 written on them that we give out at the chapel- at least until they run out. I'd encourage all of you to read that today, and allow God to apply it to your life. Where are the fears or doubts that assail you? Allow God to take them away and replace them with His peace.

"You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day." Psalm 91:5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences --- it is a strange life. You will always have these experiences in your memories.

God bless you, Belle

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home