Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Worship on the FOB

In the comments section, Diane asked about the worship services, and the numbers in worship. That's a good question. I probably shouldn't answer about the numbers of soldiers, typically because anything about the number of soldiers we have on the FOB, and where they might be at a given time is sensitive information. But I will say that we have a variety of worship services, including: a more traditional liturgical service, a Roman Catholic Mass, a Gospel Service, a contemporary evangelical service, an LDS service (Latter Day Saints), a Wicca circle, and a couple of midweek contemporary services.

I am "in charge" of the Gospel service. Gospel service in Army speak usually refers to a predominantly African-American service, with very vibrant choir and worship leadership. I am preaching this Sunday, my first Sunday preaching at the service. I cannot wait- I worshipped with them last week, and it was a wonderful time of praise.

Vaguely speaking, the numbers of soldiers in worship each week are OK. Not a majority of soldiers by any stretch, but a good amount. The thing is, we are running missions 24/7, so on any given Sunday, there is a huge percentage that might not be able to make it. Hence, we have many different times, and not just on Sunday. But I would say that participation is solid.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see how the soldiers needs are being met. At the risk of showing my ignorance what is Wicca Circle? This is new to me.

Love,
Diane

12:05 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

The Wicca Circle is a pagan group. Honestly, I don't know why they call it a "circle." But that is their gathering time, and there are maybe 2 or 3 soldiers that attend. We will accomodate all recognized religious groups if it is a reasonable request (the Army has a longer definition, but I'm using the word "reasonable" for the sake of brevity). The other worship services are all Christians or Christian offshoots. On other bases or stateside Army posts, you might have a Jewish service, as well as an Islamic service. The whole point, though, is to protect the right to freedom of religion that every soldiers has, per the Constitution, and the Army does a good job of it.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home