Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Saturday, November 18, 2006

So the prayers are working?

This morning I woke up, and for some reason my air conditioner wasn't working, and the room smelled a little odd. Of course, Rustamiyah always smells like a strange mix of sewage, sulfur and gunpowder, so I didn't think too much of it.

After starting my day, showering, etc., I went back to my room, and just happened to look at this outlet. It had caught on fire last night. You can see the cord running to the right- that goes to the air conditioner. This is unbelievable- it caught on fire while I was sleeping, and I didn't know it. (I guess it means I'm sleeping well)

Moreover, this box is six inches from me while I sleep. It is right next to the bed, and about six inches above me. My "comforter" I sleep under is a Army camophlauge colored poncho liner, which is Nylon and Polyester. My "comforter" is sometimes right up against this outlet. The fact that I didn't wake up on fire is a minor miracle.

So, for those of you praying for me, keep them coming. How ironic it would be to die in this country not from a rocket or mortar, but from an.... electrical fire??

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grateful you're safe. :) Just stumbled in to your blog via a hit to mine. My brother-in-law just came home from over there. You all are in my prayers.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaplain Chris,

I am endlessly in wonder at the miraculous power of prayer. Whether you are safe due to answered prayer or the Good Lord taking special care of you, you are safe!! I thank God for this incredible fact. You are doing such an important job. God bless you and keep you as you go about your daily duties as well as in the quiet and still of the night!!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!

Great, now I have to worry about the electrical outlets..hopefully the plumbing won't be next! :o) You just take care of yourself - I miss you and love you very much!!

I'll add the electrical outlets to my prayers!

Love,

Mom

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro-
We miss you a lot! There will be a void with you gone this Turkey Day, but you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
I love ya!

Your sis,

MAW

4:43 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Chris' Mom,

Maybe that is why the place smells funny (sewage)?.......just kidding!

Chris, you should check with your building inspector.(HA HA) Maybe you can start a Civil Suit against Saddam before his sentence is carried out? Get a little of the palace Riches in the name of Christ. How cool would that be!!

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home