Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

With NATO Soldiers

Tonight I went to a BBQ with some Soldiers from NATO. While there we ate food that the Italian Soldiers prepared (it was their turn). It was awesome; I haven't had stuff that good in a while. While you may not hear it from the media, there are a number of nations with small contingents of Soldiers in Iraq, including Denmark, Holland, Italy, Slovenia, Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, Estonia, El Salvador, Japan, and others (in addition to the large numbers from the US and Great Britain). The Soldiers at this particular BBQ were all from NATO nations.

Most of the time I hung out with the Danish Soldiers- I was able to speak some Swedish with them, which is close enough to Danish to be able to understood. Of course, they all spoke perfect English.

It was a blast. I'm enjoying meeting so many different people. In the picture above I am with Soldiers from Slovenia and Denmark, respectively. As you can see, they brought civilian clothes in addition to their uniforms.

I also learned something interesting: Denmark has about 10% of its whole Army currently deployed to Iraq. They are a small nation, but that is a huge commitment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris. I have been reading your blog from the begining. I just want to say how proud I am of you and what you are doing over there. I have a very close friend who is a cilivian working as a firefighter at one of the bases and talk to him often. So, from him and you I get to hear the positive side of this war and see pictures the media doesn't show, like the beautiful sunsets and incredible palaces, the grapefruit trees still baring fruit or when you talk about the amazing people you have met. Ironically his name is Chris as well, so when I pray for the two of you I smile because I tell God to protect the Chris's in Iraq. Thank you for being there for all those men and women, helping them through the tough times and thank you for your honesty and faith. You have helped me in my walk and coping with the war even though I am thousands of miles away. My God bless you and keep you safe. I am looking forward to hearing you once again preach the gospel at L.C.C.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home