Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Monday, May 28, 2007

Sharing Faith and Reading Books

Last night I had a very inspiring moment. We had finished worship, at our Sunday evening contemporary service. I preached on "Life and Death," in which I laid out the Biblical principles surrounding death and eternal life. As I have mentioned in previous posts, we have a wide variety of people who come to the service: American Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors, but also civilians from a number of nations.

Anyway, after the service, I witnessed one of the Iraqi Christians (she converted from Islam to Christian before the Americans came), speaking to a Romanian about faith in Jesus Christ, and being saved. What an amazing blessing from God to see Scripture come alive, ("people from every tribe, nation and tongue..."), as she shared her faith with him!

On a different note, I continue to keep my spare time busy with reading and working on my Chaplain Captain's Career Course (for Reserve Chaplains, the majority of it is online).

There are a couple of must read books. One is an old book, lent to me by a Sergeant Major whose uncle was mentioned in the book. It is called "When Hell Was in Session," and is written by former Sen. Jeremiah Denton, Rear Admiral, ret., about his horrific experience as a POW in Vietnam. All I can say is that this book is an amazing read. It reminds me that Vietnam and Iraq are two very different wars. I'll post about that in the near future.

The other book is "My Year Inside Radical Islam," by Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, who chronicles his journey from liberal Judaism, to radical, fundamentalist Islam, and the time he spent inside an organization that would later be implicated for terrorist activities. He eventually came to Christ and now works with various government agencies in helping them to understand Islam from an inside perspective. This too is an excellent, must read book.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very good post to read!!
God bless!

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and really enjoyed reading it.

Thank you so much for what your doing. Not just serving our country and allowing us to have the freedoms we do, but your willingness to share Christ with those who walk a much closer road to eternity then we do at times.

May God bless you and protect you and those you are with. I look forward to reading more.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Skellig Michael said...

I saw the author of "My Year Inside Radical Islam" being interviewed on C-SPAN the other day.

Impressive.

Good recommendation. I'm going to get the book.

Thanks,

Paul

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home