Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, June 13, 2007


The correct answer to the uniform quiz? The Flag was on the wrong arm! Raven got it correct, as did Dan (Raven's answer was submitted a little before Dan's, but they both posted at the same time, so it's kind of a tie). The picture above was taken later that night, and is the CORRECT uniform.

Here is what happened: over my upper arms are kevlar sleeves. I usually don't wear them when I fly, but only when I travel by ground. But after talking to a friend who flys, I realized that a bullet coming in through the side (you can see that the windows are NOT in place, so I'm sitting next to nothing) was not all that out of the realm of possibility. So I tried wearing them again for this flight. Each arm piece is removable. On the left arm, my unit patch should go; as you can see above, I have the 1st CAV Division patch. On my right arm should be the American flag. The actual flag I had is the correct size, standard issue, etc., but I accidentally put it on the wrong arm.

So, as we sat in the helicopter getting ready to fly back, I noticed. It was a little cumbersome, but I was able to switch the patches (they are velcro). I took the flag off and put it on the right arm, which is the right side, and I put the 1st CAV patch back on my left arm, where it was supposed to be. I wanted to make sure it was correct, just in case out Deputy Commanding General happened to look at my arms as we got off the helicopter!

Also, the yellow thing dangling in the front of my uniform is my earplugs holder. So that is correct.

Finally, being a Badger fan is always the correct uniform. Gophers fans are actually forbidden from flying our Blackhawks. It goes back to the long standing tradition of never retreating! Hawkeyes fans are allowed to even look at the helicopters, by the way...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh shoot! I missed the quiz? But I might not have been able to answer it anyway!
Still interesting though. ;-)
God bless!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

But Cyclone fans are the ones who built the helicopter!!
If it was up to all the rest, we would still be flying bi-planes!!!

HA HA

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with your uniform is the Captain bars instead of the cross.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I was close, I didn't even think it was backwards due to the wrong arm. During dessert storm, the first batch of flags were actually backwards, that is why I thought of that before it being the wrong arm.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Kevlar sleeves, helmet, boots. How hot is it over there again? I'm sweating here in Iowa in Shorts and T-Shirt. Stay cool.
Anonymous has a point. Where is the cross on your uniform? Isn't that supposed to be there together with the Captain's bars? Maybe you can draw all of us non-military folks a picture.
Best wishes from
Sonja

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home