Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Monday, November 12, 2007

Back to Blogging on Veteran's Day

It's been a long time since I've posted. There are a ton of reasons why, but here are the two biggies:

1) I've been busy getting back into the swing of civilian life. Of course, it's not that I wasn't busy while in Baghdad :) but after being in Iraq for a year, my military related thoughts just seem more mundane.

2) I've struggled with where to go with the blog now that I'm home. I would like to add more of a theological dimension to it (since the majority of my posts from Baghdad focused on my experience of a combat zone), but I also don't want to completely change the direction I've gone.

But at the end of the day (or, rather, the beginning of today), I've just decided to blog, and it will be what it will be.

With that said, I want to say that I'm very excited about what I've been seeing/hearing in terms of our success in Baghdad now.

But this has also been a hard part of the transition: I don't feel completely at ease telling people back here (in the US) about how well things are actually going in Iraq because people here are SO negative and cynical about the war.

Things are improving. Here are just a couple of articles from the past couple of days:

-Rocket and Mortar fire at 21 month low-


-Brutalized Iraqi capital begins to breathe again-

I also recently read an excellent article in the American Legion magazine titled "12 Myths of 21st Century War." It's a great read (and a must read) which explains what most Americans misunderstand about the war in Iraq- here is the link: Click Here.

Well, that's enough for now. Today's is a day off for government employees for Veteran's Day, so it seems like a good day to get back to posting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you posting again. How are things at Zion?

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,
Glad to see you blogging again (and on Veterans' Day, how appropriate!) Thanks for posting the link to the 12 Myths of 21st Century Warfare. I'm glad that Legionare wrote it, very informative. Seeing as how I was born in the mid-80s, I never knew anything of the protests in Europe during the '50s or what happened in Europe after Vietnam. I really do think our history textbooks at the grade-school and high-school level need to be revamped, like he said.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home