Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A New Year

Well, I started blogging again in November and... it just kind of didn't get going. There are lots of excuses, but mainly it has to deal with: a) Being really busy during the pre-Christmas season and, b) finding myself far less interesting now that I have redeployed! My blog is as an Army Chaplain, and now that I have redeployed home, there is just less to talk about.

But I've enjoyed looking back over 2007 and thinking about what has changed in a year. At this time last year I was sitting in Baghdad, excited that the new year meant I could say "I'm going home this year." Just a mind trick, but it made a difference.

I'm also struck by the change in the situation in Iraq. So much has changed that most of the political campaigns (both Dem and Rep) have moved from focusing on Iraq, to a more ambiguous theme of "change."

As I begin this year, I think I'm going to have to transition my blog to a wider focus.... from just army stuff to a more devotional focus, as well as commentary on issues. It's a trick balance. I feel compelled to comment on social and political issues, but I don't want the fact that I have "Army" in my blog name to allow comments to be construed as military endorsements. So, I'll make clear, if and when I make such comments, that they will be as a private citizen (since this is a blog, and not a military site).

Speaking of which, I've ended up in the news quite a bit lately. I feel very passionately about supporting our troops and leaving Iraq as a stable secure nation (i.e., finishing the mission). So I've been involved in the political campaigns and participated in my first Iowa caucus this month. I have sought to support a candidate who is in line with my social and fiscal beliefs, but also my views on the military. In the search, I've ended up getting interviewed and photographed a handful of times, including an interview on CBS News, by Bill Whitaker. So, it's been interesting.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm going to get back to watch the BCS Championship, hoping that Ohio State can come back from behind and represent the Big Ten well!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back to blogging! I'm curious who your pick was :).

9:39 AM  
Blogger ArmyGirl said...

I am as well, but I understand your reasons for not outwardly expressing it.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home