Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pictures and Question on Chaplain Duties




Here are some random photos from this week. The first picture is the mascot for the 1st CAV Division. His name is Trigger; he has traveled with the 1st CAV Division on deployments and other trips since 1989. He is a nod back to the history of 1st CAV as a Cavalry Division, of horse mounted Soldiers.
The second picture is of me with some visitors on New Year's Eve. The guy in the middle is Jim McMahon, a former Minnesota Vikings QB. The guy on the right is Kevin Butler, a former kicker for the Chicago Bears. The woman on the right is on a TV show. I forget her name. I think she is on JAG. I think the name might be Turner.
On another note: in my comments section I had someone ask about what her husband, a new chaplain, might expect in terms of duties, danger, etc., on his upcoming deployment to Ramadi. I would like to answer that question via email, rather than completely online, just for security and privacy reasons. So, send me your email address in the comments section. I will block the comment from posting. Blogger has updated it's system, and it's easy for me to block comments, so your address isn't public. Then I can email you and answer some of your questions.
This speaks again to the issue of Operational Security. The blogs Soldiers write are constantly read by all sorts of people. We have to be careful not to give out information that could be helpful to an enemy combatant, or even to the safety of family and friends back home. That's why I don't talk about my family's names, or the town we live in, etc. Just mostly common sense stuff.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris:

Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to seeing you next New Year's. Your Badgers looked great in winning and they should certainly be rated in the top five. Wisconsin done a tremendous job with their athletic program. Hopefully, the Gophers can improve with a new football and basketball coach.
Love, Dad

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sam Marks said...

A former Minnesota Vikings QB? Seems like Jim McMahon may have spent a little time with the Chicago Bears...something about a Super Bowl Shuffle?
But, once a Viking, always a Viking, I guess.
We miss you at home, Chris. But we are so proud of what you are doing for your soldiers, for our country, and for us.
I'll never again hear the phrase "For God and country" without immediately thinking of you.
God Bless.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Chris,

May I remind you that Jim McMahon was the QB of the '85 CHICAGO BEARS when they won the SUPERBOWL?

In case you forgot, maybe you should do "the superbowl shuffle"......

"I'm the punky QB, known as McMahon.
When I hit the turf, I've got no plan.
I just throw my body all over the field.
I can't dance, but, I can throw the pill.
I motivate the cats, I like to tease.
I play so cool, I aim to please.
That's why you all got here on the double,
To catch me doin' the Superbowl Shuffle."

Just thought I would remind you. Man am I showing my age????

Larry

(check out http://www.webwaymonsters.com/85bears/shuffle.html )
Even a Vikings fan can enjoy this.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Shane Vander Hart said...

Thanks for the update Chris! Badgers played well, and I enjoyed watching their game.

Iowa had some problems this year. I think there were not too many games I finished watching. The losses to Indiana and Northwestern were too much.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, 1st Cav, great Unit to be with! We were under them while we were there in 91!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home