Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Monday, December 04, 2006

Texas

Well, my deployment has found me in Texas, temporarily. Unfortunately, my unit lost two Soldiers last Sunday, right before they were due to leave the forward operating base. The Commander immediately sent up the request for me to come back to the US, on temporary duty (TDY) in order to minister to our Soldiers and be available for the memorial ceremony and funerals. So here I am, in Texas, temporarily. It is quite bizarre to be back in the states, even if just for a short time. It is hard to express how incredibly amazing and wonderful the US is when you compare to a place like Iraq. There is so much that I take for granted as an American.

It's been a tough week, though, because of the deaths. They were good Soldiers, who died making the roads safer for fellow Soldiers, and they are an honor to their families and country. I was hit hard, as were many people in our battalion, but we also recognize their incredible service and sacrifice, and are grateful to God for their lives.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome here to Texas. I am here and my husband is at Normandy. Hearing we are doing positive things helps me in my daily journey to cope without him as I pray for his safe return.
I am sorry for your losses, our losses. God Bless you in the rest of your journey.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I hope your time in the USA will give you chance to recharge your batteries as well as perform the duties you mentioned. I will echo Heather's comments and give my condolences to you and your unit. I can only imagine the shock and hurt caused by the loss of fellow soldiers and friends. Rest assured, we here at home do not take these losses lightly and certainly not for granted. We think of you daily and pray for you often.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Shane Vander Hart said...

Praying for you Chris, will your family be able to go down to visit you?

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopped by your blog because I suddenly realized I was bcoming concerned. Chaplain Chris, I am so sorry for the dual loss of two of our nation's finest, from, I am thinking, the group you have been with rather than the new group you were going to. This does make it really important that you be with the rest and I am praying God to be your comfort and strength in this incredibly difficult time as you are theirs. I and I am sure, all your readers are praying for the families, and you that knew them and served with them. Take care and God bless you.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home