Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Weather in the Desert

I went out this morning to go for a run. I lifted yesterday in the gym, but I haven't been running outside. I went out to run around 6:15am, and it was cold and dark. Too cold for a run. The temperature was probably around 30 degrees, and I thought, "well, it gets colder than this in Iowa and Minnesota." On the other hand, I don't normally run outside in that weather. So I stayed in.

Yep, I'm probably not as committed to running outside as I should be, but it will start to warm up in about a month. I'll stay on the treadmills until then.

A lot of people think that since this is a desert climate, that it must be warm here in the winter, but I've found that is not quite true. During the day it's been in the 40s and 50s, though I think it's been a little colder than normal this winter. At night it gets into the lower 30s and upper 20s. Granted, that is warmer than back home in the Midwest, but it's certainly not Florida or California. (there is no Disneyland here either; we need to find bad guys in places that are nicer to visit)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!!

Well, believe it or not, your weather there is about the same as Minnesota - it's supposed to RAIN here today!!! We have no ice on the lakes! Very strange weather!

Miss you very much!!

Love you!

Mom

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

It is not too cold here; although there is some ice Mom-people have ice houses on the lake silly :)

Miss you!

Love,

Margit

1:34 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Chris


52 degrees and sunny in DesMoines today. January 4th go figure!!!

be safe!

Larry

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello -

My name is Robin Amer and I'm a producer with Open Source (www.radioopensource.org) a nationally syndicated public radio show based in Boston and hosted by Christopher Lydon, formerly of the NPR show The Connection. I hope this finds you well.

I'm writing because we're doing a program this coming Monday January 8 from 7-8pm about how members of the armed forces are feeling about the Iraq War. It's pegged to the recent Army Times poll that found for the first time that “more troops disapprove of the president’s handling of the war than approve of it,” as well as the expected announcement about a troop surge next week.

We're hoping to hear the stories and opinions of members of the armed forces who've served in Iraq on the show, and we would be very interested in hearing from you, if you think that might be possible.

If you might be interested in speaking on this subject and might be available to join us, I would love to speak with you Monday. Please give me a call at the number below, or send me your number and a good time to call you.

Thanks so much. I look forward to hearing from you.

best,
Robin Amer

Robin Amer
Producer
Open Source
617-497-8097
www.radioopensource.org
robin@radioopensource.org

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home