Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Thursday, February 15, 2007

An update on yesterday's blog

Yesterday I wrote about my concerns for the Iraqis who have worked with us and what was going to happen to them (see below). Just this morning I read some interesting news, which represents a good first step. Take a look at the legislation being considered regarding Iraqi refugees (go to: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/15/washington/15refugee.html). It changes the current program, which allows 50 immigrants a year, and allows up to 7,000. I am not certain if that is 7,000 total, or 7,000 per year. Regardless, it's the first time I've heard about it, and it's good news.

As an aside: I'm highly in favor of increasing legal immigration to the US. Granted, I'm biased because I'm the son of an immigrant, but, this is what our country was built on- people seeking to come here for a new life. Our country has more than enough space to accomodate folks coming here, legally. What makes our nation great is that we are united based around an idea, not an ethnicity.

I also think churches should take the lead here. I would encourage churches, or members of churches, to contact their local representatives and ask about this legislation, and offer to sponsor anyone who might come to the US under refugee status.

One last note: I believe this troop surge has a good chance of working. I know there is a lot of negativity out there. I would say this: let's be patient. Let's also show the Iraqis that we do indeed have a concern for how their country turns out. Sponsoring refugees, continuing to rebuild their economy (it has grown tremendously in the last year, which often isn't reported), and standing with them militarily are all important components.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home