Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Arrival at Fort Jackson

I’m here!

Well, I’m finally here at Fort Jackson. Ft. Jackson is located in Columbia, South Carolina. I drove from Des Moines to Knoxville, Tennessee yesterday, and then to Columbia this morning. What a beautiful drive coming through the Great Smoky Mountains on the Tennessee and North Carolina border.

Now, I just get to hang out tonight, and everything gets going tomorrow, around 0500. We have a weigh-in, apparently, so if I don’t pass (i.e., if I’m too heavy and have too much body fat), then I’ll be heading home tomorrow! I think I’ll pass though.

I don’t know what the next few days have in store. We have our APFT (physical fitness test) a week from Friday. Other than that, I don’t know. I’ll keep all of you posted on this site, if you’re interested.

The area here is beautiful, but hot. I’m staying in a building called Kennedy Hall. It is six stories tall, and surrounded by evergreen type trees which are taller than the building. It almost reminds me a little of northern Minnesota, but much more hot and humid.

The weather makes Iowa feel much cooler. The humidity almost feels as though you were in a steam room. It is the 90s today, but some strong thunderstorms just rolled in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home