Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Early Wake Up Call

Wow. It’s 3:30am right now, and I’m up. I got up about 15 minutes ago. I had planned to sleep in to about 3:45am, but the guy in the room next to me is apparently having an important conversation on the phone. The building I’m staying in is essentially a bunch of hotel rooms or small efficiency apartments. But the walls must not be that thick. I can’t hear what he’s saying (and I’m not trying to listen), but he’s been going at it for about 20 minutes now. I’ll try and spin his actions in the best light possible, and assume it’s a family crisis or something. Then I’ll go over and meeting him this evening and see if he can pick a different calling time. Maybe his free nights and weekends start after 3am??

Well, I’m awake regardless and in a little more than an hour, I’ll be out at the field where we do physical training, and those of us that are new will head over and get weighed in. I don’t know what the rest of the day holds, but that is part of the mental shift that needs to take place at training: allowing your time to belong to someone else. That was a big change for me the first time I came down, but now that I know how it works, I’ve been much better prepared the last two times. It’s actually a big spiritual shift for me to be able to let go of my schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home