Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend thoughts

Just a couple thoughts for today:

First, about the soldiers who are missing: this breaks my heart. I ask that anyone reading this blog take some time to pray for the soldiers who are have gone missing. IF they have been captured, these would be the first soldiers actually captured since SGT Keith Maupin. Let's pray for their safety. After a week of good news, this is a reminder that Iraq remains a dangerous area.

Second, I'm also thinking about the people of Iraq today. One of the comments I've heard, repeatly, goes something like this: "I just don't think those people can ever make democracy work." I know I've commented on this before, but this type of attitude is quite narrow-minded (as well as somewhat racist). It also shows how quickly we forget history. After World War Two, people were saying the sames things about the Japanese and Germans. "Those Germans and Japanese just can't make democracy work." 60 years later they are strong allies with robust economies.

Will the same happen in Iraq? Who knows. But this I know: all people are created in the image of God, and we must give them the benefit of the doubt. I would also point out the example of South Korea, which in the last 50 years has not only become a solid democracy, but has also been converting to Christianity in great numbers (around 1/3 to 1/2 of the nation is now Christian). Check out this interesting article about great number of missionaries being sent FROM South Korea to the rest of the world. This article even mentions a South Korean missionary martyred in Iraq.

The bottom line? Pray for the people of Iraq- all of them. Ask that God would bring peace, the light of Christ, and a hopeful future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home