Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hurricanes and Spiders
















I haven't posted much lately because, as I've mentioned, there hasn't been much going on. On Wednesday, I did head down to Gulfport, Biloxi and Pass Christian with some other guys to view the hurricane damage. It was truly unbelievable. There were scores of buildings that were just gone, and, almost a year later, garbage remainds on the beaches. I have included a few pictures. In the picture on the right, you might be able to see that someone spray painted "We are Home!! Will Shoot, No Looting!"

I also should mention that I killed a couple of spiders in my room in one day. Mississippi is home to many poisonous things, from Brown Recluse and Black Widows spiders, to Copperheads, Cottonmouths, various rattlesnakes, and even coral snakes. None of the spiders in my room were the poisonous ones...I don't think.

My week continues to involved 5 and a half hours of training, followed up with long periods of counting the tiles in my ceiling. I've thought about painting my barrack, so I could watch the paint dry, but I might get fined for that. :)

Next week, it looks like we might get to help out with other units that don't have chaplains (i.e., too small to have chaplains), so that will provide a welcome relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home