Google

Pro Deo Et Patria- An Army Chaplain

I am a chaplain in the US Army, serving in Iraq. I'm keeping a blog to share my thoughts and experiences while deployed. They are my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Army! :)

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Why I'm at Camp Shelby


This morning, I was admittedly a little frustrated at my current boredom, having to walk everywhere, and the prospect of potentially having very little to do for a while. Call it my own little pity-party. So this afternoon I decided to spend some extra time on PT (physical training- i.e., working out). I went to the gym, lifted weights, ran on the treadmill, and then decided to go shoot baskets. I was the only one in the gym, and shot for a few minutes, and then went over to examine a large flag that is hanging in the gym. It brought me to the verge of tears, and reminded me of why I'm in the Army, and why I'm at Camp Shelby right now. The flag is a giant (2-3 story) flag, made from around 3000 smaller flags. Each of the small American flags bears the name of one of the victims from 9-11. Along with these American flags are the flags of each nation that lost someone on 9-11 (over 80 nations). Maybe of the flags have messages of condolences as well as encouragement for the US. I have posted some pictures in detail on the web, and you can find them by clicking here. (If that doesn't work, the web address is: www.magnell.info/flag)

The flag made me proud of what we're doing over in the mideast. While nothing we do is perfect, I firmly believe that this world will be blessed if we can see this whole thing through, and help to foster the fledgling democracies in that part of the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,
Thank you so much for sharing the flags with us. It is a reminder to all of us that our freedom is always at stake.

It must be very difficult to be prepared and then have no where to go. Just think of it as God giving you extra time to pray!

I love the blogs and am so thankful that you are able to share with us.

Arnold and I miss you, but this helps keep us in tune with you and your teachings.

God Bless and Go Get'em!!!!!!!!!

Carla

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home